Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Unwelcome Blessing

The pain I'd been experiencing turned out to be cancer. The Namibian surgeon who discovered it strongly advised I return to the States for treatment. So I traveled to the States a month earlier than planned. As I contemplated the after effects of chemo, my plans for a writing retreat appeared to being evaporating. I left immediately and Val stayed behind to prepare the team for our extended absence. The stateside biopsy revealed GIST (Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor), a rare form of cancer that doesn't respond to traditional chemotherapy, but does respond to a targeted chemotherapy pill that I began taking with minimum side effects. Eventually the tumor would have to be surgically removed, but the immediate plan was to let the pill shrink my tumor as much as possible.  (Read more about GIST)

I jumped into writing with a vengeance. I finally had the necessary deadline, with "dead" being more than figurative language. Finish the book before cancer kills me. I no longer had years or decades to finish my dream. I had to finish now; I no longer had the luxury of procrastination.

In a strange way, cancer became a blessing. It gave me:

  • Reality check. - life is tenuous; squeeze each day for all it can give. 
  • Motivation - to write, although not in a way I would have wished. 
  • Urgency - write now; tomorrow may never come.
  • More Chapters – my already interesting story just got bigger. 
I used the cards God dealt me to build discipline into my writing. I buried myself into my book. It was therapeutic.

4 comments:

  1. Lon this is going to be awesome! I am so excited for you in this project. Keep us posted I can't wait to get a copy. PLEASE CONFIRM the cancer is the OLD NEWS right??????????????? Hoop
    PS love you man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The answer to your question is complicated. I no longer have a visible tumor growing inside of me. As long as the medicine I take continues to work, I should remain cancer-free. However, after a while my medication tends to stop working and then GIST often comes back, usually in the liver. So I'm still a cancer patient and have to have CT scans on a regular basis. Once a cancer patient, always a cancer patient.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lon,
    Excellent..looking forward to reading your book!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. This brings the reader along on the ride you took to write this book.

    ReplyDelete